Mensagens populares

quarta-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2018

G1&G2 - Simple FM!

Yep, I know I haven't posted much lately...
I had lots of stuff to deal with, but I fortunately found a time to post what I hope is an interesting post to all of you who have a Clavia Nord Modular and / or enjoy FM Synthesis!


So, despite being quite busy lately, some days ago, I fortunately found myself having some time to play a bit with my Clavia Nord Modular G1!

Rather than trying to come up only with new patches, I decided to have a look at some patches I've done and ended up stumbling on this one:



As you can see from the picture, this is a very simple FM patch, which was inspired by the old Yamaha PSS FM synthesizers.

While I don't feel any of them would really add much to my studio setup, they seem a pretty cool addition to my current setup away from the studio, especially because they are pretty compact!

With this in mind, I decided to do some research on them, and as I found more about the synth architecture of the Yamaha PSS-780 (which you can find here), I decided I should just try to emulate it on my Clavia Nord Modular G1!

As you probably have noticed, despite my patch is pretty simple, it offers considerably more possibilites than what a Yamaha PSS-780 would, since it actually offers the possibility to mix the two different operators!
Also, the EGs seem to be simpler in the Yamaha PSS-780, and I doubt you'll have as much control over the vibrato on it as what my patch offers!

But the really good part is that, and this is the main reason why I'm sharing this patch, you have full control over all the relevant parameters using the knobs in the front panel of the Clavia Nord Modular G1 (as seen in the following picture), so no need to even turn the editor on if you want to program your own sounds!



So, as you can probably guess, after finding this patch, I ended up spending quite some time creating new sounds with it, as it really is easy to come up with new sounds.

And despite the synth architecture is not that versatile, you can really come up with really nice sounds!

Even if you don't have much experience with FM synthesis, you can program great sounds very fast, and I would even say this is probably a great patch to use if you want to learn better how to program FM synths, since you have two basic operators and everything can be controlled with knobs!


Like everything with the Clavia Nord Modulars, you can always go a step further, that is, if you still have DSP available (and with this patch, you have plenty... so much that you get 32 notes of polyphony on an expanded G1)!

With this patch, an obvious improvement would be to add more operators, but you can also add some processing to the operators you have available, and even a filter after the mixer!

However, by adding more features, you'll stop having enough knobs to control all the relevant parameters of your patch...

That would actually be a different story, if we were talking about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, which lets you control many more parameters easily, thanks to the more sophisticated interface!

However, that is definitely a story for another post (or check some of my previous posts, as I think I discussed the differences between the two before...).


I hope you enjoyed this post, and be sure to follow my blog, as I really want to get more posts done for you all! ;)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário