Mensagens populares

domingo, 25 de junho de 2017

CONCERT - Synth-ing Nº24!

This one featured a more complex set than my previous performances here in sunny Algarve!


And you can listen / re-listen to all of it here!


Just before this performance, a friend of mine decided to drop by and lend me his Yamaha Reface CS!

And since the interface in this synth is so intuitive, and the sound is pretty nice as well, I decided it would be a good idea to use it together with my Clavia Nord Modular G1!



Despite I didn't have much time with it before this performance, I quickly got my head around the Yamaha Reface CS, since it features a really simple interface that makes it easy to program your own sounds.

It might not be a true monster a true monster when it comes to versatility, like the Clavia Nord Modular G1 is, but I found the interface it has really makes it a fantastic machine to jam with!

In that aspect, it ends up being a better machine than the Clavia Nord Modular, as everything can be edited using the front panel!
It is true the Clavia Nord Modular G1 has 18 knobs available still, but I find it to be pretty hard to stick to a simple structure that can be controlled by those 18 knobs, as you find yourself always wanting to add something more to your synth structure...

And to make things even more interesting, the Yamaha Reface CS has proper delays, which the Clavia Nord Modular G1 ends up lacking (the RAM available only allows for very short delays)!



So, for this performance, I decided to use the Yamaha Reface CS as my lead instrument, with the Clavia Nord Modular G1 providing a nice pad sound, an experimental drone sound, and some extra processing for the Yamaha Reface CS!


With the Yamaha Reface CS, I didn't have to worry about programming my patches before the performance, since the synth architecture is fixed and it is a true joy to edit in realtime.

In fact, just started with a basic patch and tweaked it around during the performance, trying out the different type of oscillators available!

Since there aren't many parameters available, it shouldn't be too hard for any of you that has this synth to produce similar sounds (especially because the only external processing done to it wasn't that complex, as you'll see later in this post...).


For the Clavia Nord Modular G1, however, I had to spend some time preparing my patches, but I think all of them ended up adding something to this performance, as you'll see ;)

The polyphonic pad sound I produced for the Clavia Nord Modular G1 was named "TriplePad" and features 3 oscillators that can all modulate each other and themselves as well!


It is a pretty standard patch, but the use of 3 oscillators per voice with FM makes it go to places the Yamaha Reface CS just can't go.

Unfortunately there was no way to tweak all the parameters live with the user interface, but it was still possible to do some live tweaking of the most relevant parameters, without needing to make use of the morph groups.


In the second slot of the Clavia Nord Modular G1, I used the "AdditiveDrone" patch, that is kinda similar to the drone patches used in previous performances:


Like in the previous performances, I used the smooth LFOs as triggers / modulators.
However, this time, each parameter that is modulated features its own smooth LFO, rather than a mix of them.

I felt this approach would make more sense, since there are quite some some oscillators that are being triggered by the smooth LFOs, and this would produce more variations in the additive timbre, despite those variations end up being less complex.

Overall, it ends up being a simple patch, relying on several sine wave oscillators (with the master making use of an FM input), plus a nice filter and stereo chorus.


The last patch I used on the Clavia Nord Modular G1 was the "3BandComp", aimed to process the sound of the Yamaha Reface CS (which is mixed in the Clavia Nord Modular G1).


This patch is basically a 3 band compressor plus a digitizer module to add some grit to the overall sound coming from the Yamaha Reface CS.


I felt this setup was pretty interesting, and with the availability of delays in the Yamaha Reface CS, I ended up not even using my Korg KaossPad Quad in this set to add some extra effects (it could have been nice to add some extra reverb, but ended up feeling it would be nice, for a change, to skip it).

In fact, the only extra device used was my Akai MIDIMix that was aimed to give further control to the "AdditiveDrone" patch.


This one turned out to be a bit more of a player's performance than usual, with me playing with the two keyboards I had available for most of the time.

I ended up using the looper function of the Yamaha Reface CS (which seems to actually be a sequencer rather than a proper looper, since the sound from those notes is affected by the position of the sliders) as well as twisting the knobs to get the most out of the "AdditiveDrone" patch (and twisted some knobs to get the most out of the sounds played with keyboards), but it still ended up being a different performance to the other ones I have done here in Algarve so far.

Overall, I feel it ended up being a nice performance, that I hope you enjoyed!


I think this sums up this performance, and if you want to download the patches available for the Clavia Nord Modular G1, you can do so in the same place I shared the performance, like always, which means here!

I don't share any patch for the Yamaha Reface CS as I programmed it as I was performing, as mentioned before!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário