Mensagens populares

quarta-feira, 17 de maio de 2017

MEANWHILE... - The one thing I hate about Kyma...

While Kyma is a truly amazing machine, there is one thing that really annoys me about it...


As I mentioned before in this blog, last year I decided to get a Capybara 320 to run the amazing Symbolic Sounds Kyma software, rather than one of their current devices, the Paca and Pacarana.

The main reason for this choice was the price, as I paid much less for my Capybara 320, fully expanded in terms of DSPs, than what I would pay for a used Paca, despite my unit ends up being the more powerful.

Of course that processing power isn't everything, and I was fully aware this solution has several disadvantages, with the most obvious being that it can't run the latest Kyma 7 software (it only goes up to Kyma X).

Still, since I was completely inexperienced with Kyma, I felt it was wiser not to spend too much on it, even if that meant not getting the latest model.


After starting learning Kyma for a the past weeks, I can say I feel that, sooner or later, I'll end up getting a newer model, as I really see Kyma taking a central place in my studio.

But to be honest, I don't regret my choice, as this is a very powerful machine and has something that sets it apart from the newer models - real inputs and outputs with top quality converters!

Of course you can get a sound card with top quality converters, but it should still give you a slightly different sound to what the Capybara 320 will give you, making it always interesting!


So, what's the one thing that really annoys me on Kyma (at least on Kyma X)?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to run Kyma X without having the hardware connected to the computer...

While this is not a real problem if you are working with Kyma in a studio, it gets really annoying if you feel like programming new sounds whenever you feel inspired...

With my Clavia Nord Modular G1 and G2, I really enjoy to make some patches when I feel inspired, and being able to just program them in the computer without having to connect the synths.
Of course it's annoying that I am not able to listen to how my patches sound, but I am still able to create interesting structures I can tweak around later on, or even modify if I see that is necessary (but at least the work is started).

With the Capybara 320, this is just impossible and I honestly feel the size of the unit sometimes gets in the way and prevents me from actually create new sounds when I feel inspired...

I would expect it to be a bit better using the newer Paca and Pacarana, since those are much smaller units...
But even with those, I still feel that being able to program your own sounds on the software without needing to have the hardware on would be a nice feature...


Still, this being the one thing that really annoys me says a lot about the quality of this system!

But I'll say more about it in the next posts, so if you are interested in Kyma, be sure to follow! ;)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário