Mensagens populares

sábado, 8 de abril de 2017

Be very careful with the wrong voltages...

Even if you think you are buying from a reputable source, be sure to check if the voltage of the power supply you received with your gear is the correct one!


I am still very upset to have found out today that, for the past 8 years, I have been using my Ensoniq Fizmo with a power supply with the wrong voltage...

Instead of providing the necessary 9V AC, it actually provided 17V AC, so considerably more than it should...

Since I got this synth from a person that actually runs a music shop here in Portugal (which is actually more aimed for Synths and DJs than a regular music shop, despite I'm not gonna name it...), and the synth had been checked by a tech before I got it, I never thought the power supply that was provided to me wasn't the correct one...
I can even tell that the synth came with the original manual and original box and it was tested in front of me before I bought it and it was working as it should...

In fact, I wouldn't have even thought about that if I hadn't been remodelling the studio this past week...
When I was done with the remodelling, I wasn't 100% sure (just 99.9%...) that the power supply I had close to it was really the correct power supply, so I checked if the specifications were the same...
But after checking all the power supplies I had available here, I'm 100% sure I used this power supply with my Ensoniq Fizmo...

Unfortunately, this can reduce the life of the components inside the synth, which really makes me upset...

The only good thing is that I didn't really use it that much and doubt it had much more than 100 hours of use during these past 8 years...

And of course, it could have actually killed the synth, which fortunately didn't happen (at least yet...).
It seems to be working as it should with the new power supply and I hope it stays like this for many years to come!

What I now know is that I'm always gonna check if the power supply is the correct one, even if the seller seems reputable enough for me to trust it is...


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário