Mensagens populares

quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2017

CONCERT - Synth-ing Nº3!

First of all, I hope you enjoyed my performance!
And i you didn't have the opportunity to listen it live, be sure to listen to it now as it is available already!
If you want to listen it, or re-listen it, here is the link:


This time, the chosen ones for my setup were:

- Roland TR-909, for the drum sounds;
- Korg MS-20, going into the Electrix Repeater (which serves as master clock) for those "dronish" sounds;
- Clavia Nord Modular G2X, for the organ sounds and as a mixer (with a nice reverb effect on).


I went again for a simple setup, but unfortunately had to change the whole concept of my performance when I found out that the MIDI Thru in my Clavia Nord Modular G2X isn't working properly...
Fortunately it doesn't seem to be anything serious, since it works when I press the MIDI cable into the  MIDI Thru connector, but after I stop pressing it, it just doesn't transmit anything...

Still, it made it impossible for me to use the Electrix Repeater as my master clock and get that clock into my Clavia Nord Modular G2 and Roland TR-909...

Little Tux was hidding under the Roland TR-909!

So I ended up syncing just the Roland TR-909 to the Electrix Repeater, which acts as the master clock in this MIDI chain.

As I mentioned before, the Korg MS-20 was used as the sound source for the Electrix Repeater, which this time is used for more than a long delay!
This time, I tried to have loops running in layers, despite the main loop was always being used as a long delay.


And what about the Clavia Nord Modular G2X?

Since I could sync it to the master clock, I ended up giving it a much more limited use than I thought as I couldn't have sequences running and keep them in sync for a 1 hour performance...


So I only used two of the four slots, which I will present next and that you can find as a reply in the electro-music.com post with my concert that I presented before!


The first one was named "SimpleOrgan" and tries to emulate a classic tonewheel organ!

SimpleOrgan, but pretty good sound!
Unlike the Hammond organ and its several clones, this patch only features 8 oscillators.
This limitation was by no means required, but I felt it made sense since this way I am able to use the 8 channel fader mixer module, which gives it a more tonewheel organ feeling, with those virtual sliders kinda looking like "inverted" drawbars.
I dialled in the different pitches for the 8 sine wave oscillators used, and I could tell it sounded nice right away!

The rest of the patch is pretty simple, with an overdrive module that is applied to the whole mix, an EG (that can be pushed to give results much more interesting than what you get in the classic tonewheel organs), and it finishes with an EQ and panner module (this time the panner was modulated by an actual LFO).

I didn't really try to add any special tricks that would make the patch very complex, choosing instead to keep it simple!

I didn't compare it with my Korg CX-3 (the original analog one), but can tell you it sounds pretty nice as it is!

But if you'd like something more complex, I will probably try to make a post sooner or later about a different try I made at the organ sound (again with 8 oscillators only), that is considerably more versatile and interesting!


The second patch was, as you were probably expecting, a mixer named "SimpleN3Mixer"!

Three different sounds mixed together with a nice reverb effect chain going along!
This is a very simple mixer patch, but the effect line used was enough to make things a bit more interesting (and to be honest, I didn't have much time to come up with a new mixer, so I stuck to the basics).

And as you can see in the picture, I ended up using only the stereo output of the Roland TR-909, since there are no more inputs available in the Clavia Nord Modular G2X.


This week there isn't much more to comment...

It's just a shame there was that failure on the MIDI Thru of the Clavia Nord Modular G2X, as I wanted to add some sequence parts, which would have allowed me to do some different parts in my performance, rather than focusing a lot on the Korg MS-20 + Electrix Repeater combo.

But overall I really enjoyed yet another performance and hope you did as well!


Any feedback, don't hesitate to use the comments down below!


P.S. - I'm really sorry for the lack of photos of my setup this time, but with the MIDI Thru problem I ended up forgetting about that as I only noticed that less than an hour before start playing and had to be fast getting an concept for my setup.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário